Friday, September 08, 2006

Cattle Call and Topdog/Underdog

So I'm vaguely healthy again. Not feeling great, not feeling awful. Actually ate, drank some water, showing progress. I came close to being pretty seriously sick, I think, and I really hope that doesn't happen again anytime soon because it s-u-c-k-s.

Anyway. Cattle call...could have been better. Much better. I made a strange decision to use a chair in my monologue. But not to sit in it. No, somehow in my mind, it made sense that Martha would be standing while Lily Morter was sitting and for Martha to talk to Lily in the chair. And later push her out of it and slam the chair around a little. Maybe dehydration causes delusions? Whatever. All I know is, the first thing out of Kaytren's mouth was, "so the chair maybe wasn't a good idea." And I'm in complete agreement with her. It was a stupid idea and it made me look complete juvenile. I mean, I've been doing this for as long as I can remember, and I can't remember to cheat out? I can't remember not to use "acting hands"? I almost forget my name? Guh.

But the great thing about this was that it's over and now I see what I'm up against. I know I can handle an audition, even if it makes me shaky and nervous and even if I mess it up horribly. I can see my mistakes and I took the criticism I recieved well. Better than I've ever taked criticism before. I'm proud of me a little. Plus, my skirt was awesome.

I saw "Topdog/Underdog" for the second time tonight. Jake hadn't seen it and won't be around tomorrow, so we went at 11:00. It really was a great show and I was very impressed. The entire thing is student-run and it's underground theatre, which rocks so hard. It's a very intense show and those two guys really pulled it off. I've never had to carry a show with just one other person, so props to them! If any VCUers read this and haven't been to see it, please go see. It's free and it's awesome. But bring a jacket because Shafer St. Playhouse is FREEZING.

Okay, it's been requested that I make a few more film recommendations, so here are the B's:

A Beautiful Mind
Beauty and the Beast
Being Julia
Bend it like Beckham
Big Fish
Billy Elliot
Bride and Prejudice

No comments: