Friday, September 01, 2006

When Auditions Get Cancelled...

...I go through a strange range of emotions. There's relief, because it means I have even more time to prepare. There's fear, because it means it's still happening. There's anxiety, because part of me still wants to get it over with. And, of course, there's a touch of "wtf, mate?" because I'm curious why the name "Karen Wright" is unpronounceable to me.

In lieu of auditions, I went with Kaytren and Jake to the VA Holocaust Museum since Kaytren had never been. Jake's an amazing tour guide since he did a play there and I chimed in every so often because I've been studying the Holocaust since I was about eleven. Well, on our way out, who should be there but the sweetest man in existance, Jay Ipson (he who runs the museum)! Jake went up and talked with him for a while and somehow the talk turns to plays.

To make a long story short, the three of us are going to collaborate to create, direct, and act in an original play for the VA Holocaust Museum, to be presented in February. We are so THRILLED to have this opportunity fresh out of high school! I'm especially amazed that this is happening because we're going to use stuff I've written. It's all happening pretty quickly, too. I'm submitting the plays I've written this weekend and we're setting up a meeting very soon. I can't believe it's really happening!

1 comment:

Dave T said...

Ms. Sumner,
I saw your post on Scott Wichmann's blog and thought I remembered your name from "Follies." I am always on the lookout for theater-related blogs/websites, etc. I have two quick questions for you:
Would you mind if I linked to your blog from my site (http://richmondvatheater.blogspot.com)? And could you give me some additional information about your project with the Holocaust Museum? It's the kind of cool, little project that might be interesting for a story in Style. I can't promise anything, but I'd love to get more info. I would have emailed you directly but couldn't find any contact info on your blog. You can email me back at davetline@aol.com.
Thanks!